Thursday, January 5, 2012

Alaina Rose Amara Luke

Six years ago today, my fantastic goddaughter Alaina made her debut in Alameda, CA.  Alison chose to have her at home, and I was one of the few people invited to take part.  It was an amazing experience for which I will ever be grateful.  I was a little worried about it going in, because I'm usually really sensitive about blood, medical procedures, seeing people in pain, etc.  (I'm that person the nurses are always telling to lie on the floor with my knees elevated.  The first few times I gave blood were totally embarrassing.)  However my fears were unwarranted, it was beautiful and not at all scary.  If you ever have a friend who's generous enough to share this miracle with you, I suggest you take the opportunity.  Thanks Alison!

2006 - a few months later

2007 - already a force to be reckoned with

2008 - Easter, hence the bunny nose sucker

2009 - Finally, she's old enough to have a sleepover.  We'd no sooner sat down at this Indian restaurant with our drinks, when she folded her hands in front of her, looked me right in the eye and said "So, what should we talk about?"  After I stopped laughing I asked what she thought we should discuss and she suggested something about boys.  Eating Indian food and talking about guys, just like going out with her mother.  :)

2009 - It may not be totally appropriate to call a little girl a badass, but really, nothing else will do.  She loves "riding" my bike whenever she gets the chance.  Can't wait until she's old enough to go with me for a real ride.

2010 - For this birthday outing, we went on a visit to the SF Museum of Modern Art to check out the children's area.  It was underwhelming, so we headed up to the rooftop cafe for a treat.  Lains chose both hot and cold chocolate - the perfect combination.

2011 - Alaina really wanted to see snow for her birthday wish last year, so for her party she requested everyone wear white.  Many people did, but not with such a degree of flair.
(She got to go see the real deal in Tahoe with her family later on.)

2011 - making a bedtime treat during last year's birthday sleepover

2011 - Her mother sent this to me in May and it's been my phone background ever since.  I can't decide which I love most - the freckles or the dimples or the gap teeth.

2011 - Lains started taking martial arts classes last year - here she shows me how to punch.  It's kind of dark, but I love it anyway.  That loud noise in the background is a dog sneezing.

2011 - Our last big adventure together was a camping trip I took with Alaina and her mom and sisters in July.  It was great.  This girl loves to swim!

Have a wonderful birthday, sweetheart!  
I love you and hope you have a great year of being 6!  
We'll have a belated sleepover when I get back this summer! 

6 comments:

  1. She looks like an awesome little girl! And she's very lucky to have such a special Godmother!

    If that cute dimple picture is taken where I think...at a tutti frutti frozen yogurt bar, then I totally understand the expression! Best place ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful! I cried from the very first line! We love you and miss you so much, Alaina is so blessed to have such an amazing Godmother, and special person in her life! Thanks for all the flashbacks!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait till you can bring her to Minnesota! (Her family, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alaina is a little doll! You are lucky to have such a sweetie for a Godchild & she is lucky to have you for her Godmother! When Alaina is riding her motorcycle, you two can have a great time sightseeing in California!
    aunt jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed seeing that beautiful #3 granddaughter's tribute, Jess. Thanks for the work you put into it and for posting it on your blog! I agree with you wholeheartedly: Badass is her middle name (as if she doesn't have enough middle names already, right?)! I can't wait to see what she'll be like as an adult--she's such a unique child! Love, love, love her as I know you do too! G'ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Don't know where the "Aunt to the Queen" thing came from--I'm not much of a blogger* G'ma

      Delete