Monday, January 16, 2012

My favorite Supermarket









Today is my sister Rachel's 32nd birthday!  Huzzah!!!













(And since I liked how Becky's tribute turned out, I will follow a similar format today.)

Rach, if I could bake some birthday cupcakes for you, they would look like this:



And, I do apologize, but when I asked Jerry if he would sing "Happy Birthday" for you, he just went off on this grim soliloquy instead:



And if I were gonna list three things that make you a wonderful sister, they'd be:

1. You've got great style: 
I was always a little jealous of Rachel's sense of self when we were young.  Whether it was fashion, music, hobbies, dance moves, etc., she always did her own thing - and did it confidently.  It took me until college to find my groove, but she had it from the get-go.  She was cool.  (And of course, still is.)

For a number of years she had very short hair with a little ducktail in the back.  I don't think I've ever seen that cut on any other kid her age.  Not sure where she got the idea from, but it fit.  (Thanks, Mom and Dad for sending me these old photos.)

She also went through a period where she was really into hats.  

I'm guessing you don't know anyone else who made & wore a camouflage dress to prom? 
Super cool!



2. You've got great kids:
And as we all know, good children are not born, they are made with great patience and care.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, you are an excellent mother and I'm always impressed when observing you in action.  You should be very proud of yourself and your little pumpkins.

The fam: Rachel, Jacob, Oscar and Elloise


So...many...cute...photos...to...choose...from...can't...decide.......


3. We've got great history:
Whether it was searching for pirate treasure at Cotton Lake, spending countless hours swimming away from the Horned King on our inner tubes, or fighting over the blankets at Grandma & Grandpa's house, we've been through a lot together.  It's hard to put into words, but when you've been having adventures as long as we have, it really makes a deep connection.  Thanks for being my playmate all those years - someday I'll forgive you for chasing me with frogs.

 Our old house at Cotton Lake
(Can you tell we're wearing leftover singlets from the boys' wrestling team for swimsuits?)

 Fishing on Moose Lake, where we moved to in the mid-80s.  (Yes, I already had glasses.)

Moose Lake again, trying not to break anything

An evening walk in Moorhead, last summer

Wishing you all good things this year Rachy - Becky and I will be thinking of you this week.  Too bad you can't magically join us and show the Chinese what a truly tall American woman looks like.  :)  Love you lots! xo

4 comments:

  1. Great photos! Too bad kids grow up too quickly. You 3 sisters & my 3 boys should still be little & at home---I just wish!
    aunt jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh... memory lane. Walked down it for hours looking up these pictures... wonderful and bittersweet. Wish you were all still little and home with us... but so very happy for who you are now and all the good times to come. You girls were the best... make that are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jess - it's hard to type with weepy eyes. I did have a lovely birthday - thanks to my loving family!

    I was recently looking through old photos myself - we really did have some amazing times! Such a happy childhood! Thanks for being an amazing big sister! Many of the really fun and special experiences I had throughout school and college were had tagging along with you. Thanks for not only putting up with me but welcoming me to be there with you!

    I love the photos! That pool (and the swimsuits) were great!


    Slight correction - I didn't make the dress. But thanks for giving me credit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Jess, I got to be on both ends of this, with Mom searching pictures & your nice tribute to a really cool young lady. We're so lucky to have the family do. Love you all. Dad

    ReplyDelete