Sunday, January 8, 2012

What's new

Here's what's new around #12A since the start of 2012:

1. My attitude: My New Year's resolution was to try to have a less stressful approach to work, and so far it's been a piece of cake.  Totally weird.  I was incredibly nervous/excited before my first day of fall semester.  This semester - nothing.  I mean, I was happy to meet my new students and reconnect with the ones I'd had before, but it was just like any other day.  I haven't had a lot of prep work to do yet and what I am doing I just do when I feel like it.  I'm slightly afraid I'll jinx it by writing it here, but I hope not because it's great!  Angie says it's just experience, but after only one semester it seems like a disproportionately large change.  Maybe it's also because I'm getting older and my body realizes I can't afford to spend that much energy on anything without taking years off my life.  Whatever the reason, I'm totally chill so far.

2. My hair: As I mentioned in early December, I am trying a new hairstyle after six years of the same thing and many more years of parting down the middle.  I like to be symmetrical - otherwise it looks creepy when you see yourself in photos.  The squinty eye is bad enough.  But drastic times call for drastic measures and since my hair is not getting any thicker, I needed to change something.  So I have been parting it on the side throughout my vacation and it's finally starting to cooperate.  Kind of.  My front cowlicks have a mind of their own and so trying to get the right one to suddenly go left is a major battle.  Many days of our vacation I had it lashed down with a bobby pin, but now that school's back in session, I have to rely on styling gel and good will.  It was actually behaving pretty well on Friday, so I took this picture to demonstrate (and to show Olivia, who keeps asking to see it).  Unfortunately, I photographed too soon.  Right after taking this I put on my hat (because it's really cold now), and by the time I got to school it was a disaster.  Mutiny had occurred in those snugly wool depths and it was chaos!  As I began damage control, Angie looks over and says "Hey, you look like that guy - Alfalfa!"  Always knows the right thing to say, that one.  The worst part is that it really reminds me of the way I did my hair in junior high.  Not.  Good.  But I have no other solutions, so I'm hoping by the time I get back to the States and actually have to face the people I care about it will be under control.  (sigh)



3. The last of the Christmas presents: Becky's package arrived and was well worth the wait.  She sent me DVDs of two of my favorite celebrity crushes: Jimmy Fallon and Pearl Jam (Eddie Vedder).  Nice work Becky!!!  Can't wait to watch them!  Maybe when you're here!







4. Baby Bobby: or Madison Samin Farboud as she is now known.  My friend Bobby finally got around to telling me that his wife, Shirley, delivered a lovely baby girl on the 23rd.  He said he sent me a text right away and it didn't go through, which I suppose I will choose to believe since fatherhood is a big deal and can rattle even the most responsible of friends.  And because I'm such a good friend I didn't even mention to him the fact that I've been checking my email expectantly ever since the 14th (due date) and more recently was actually quite concerned that something was wrong. (ahem)  Needless to say, I'm glad she made it alright and that they're all well and happy.  Pretty cute, huh?



5. It's cold:  I mean, cold for Macau.  It's been in the 11-13 degree range (low 50s Fahrenheit) and raining.  Yuck.  Not only is it unpleasant to be out in this weather, and cold in both our homes and offices, but it also makes the buses really insane.  This is not what you want to see pulling up in front of you after a long day at work.  (Walking back from dinner in our neighborhood tonight I was making noises of displeasure at the cold and Beth said "Wow, you must have really been miserable in Minnesota."  Yes ma'am - that's why I left.)


6. I'm no longer tormented by Blade Runner: It really is easier to understand after you've read the book.  Still doesn't explain the ending, but I guess that was the intention of the director.  It was nice to finally watch it again though, and I can appreciate the visuals more now that I don't have to think so hard about it.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that your new semester is off to a good start! Hooray for you! I wasn't even thinking that you were back to work yet - duh.

    I think your hair looks nice - that's all natural curl!? Sweet! Good luck on training those cowlicks...grrr.

    Bummer about the icky weather / bus situation. We're still not having winter here. We had a little bit of snow at the end of the year - quick made a snowman - and now it's gone! The other night at bedtime Elloise thanked God for making it springtime again. I'm hoping maybe he'll be guilted into complying! (We can hope!) How long do you expect to have ishy weather?

    Nice presents and cute baby! I'm assuming that last photo has something to do with Blade Runner - N/A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Baby Bobby... good job! Love those bangs, Jess... I have that exact photo in our album (just teasing... you look cute as always). Good luck back at school... yes it seems a bit early to be so calm about the new semester. You always were a quick study.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rach: Yes, all natch, thanks to mom. :) I guess I shouldn't whine about it too much, could be worse, but the bullhorns are not easily trained. Funny about Elle, if she has a direct line to the big guy you could ask her to get me a job in SF. Weather here starts turning in March, or so I'm told. Yes, the last photo eludes to the ending of BR. I didn't want to explain because it might ruin it for those who haven't watched. One of those that leaves you with a question.

    Mom: very funny. You probably do have that exact photo, minus the wrinkles and with pink clothes instead of brown. Yes, I hope I can maintain the tude long term.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is no relief from cowlick, so learn to live with them. I am able to sorta tame them with hair clip while drying my hair. My 3 guys thank me for inheriting those from me! Hope your new group of students continue to be easy! The weather in MN is just like spring! Unreal! Usually Jan. is our coldest month, but it has been like March, so far.
    aunt jackie

    ReplyDelete