Saturday, August 20, 2011

Construction and the weather report

I woke up promptly at 9 this morning, and not only because that was the time I had set my phone alarm for.  I would have continued hitting the snooze without remorse, had it not been for the remodeling happening in our building.  Up until yesterday it had been 2 floors up and was just a dull drilling and banging sound.  The apartment above us just lost it's occupant though, and so I guess they moved down to do some work there because now it sounds like it's happening about an inch from your ear, if not inside it. They work hard too, from 9am until 6pm with an hour break for lunch.  On Saturday.  We're all hoping they take tomorrow off.  Unable to function with that type of distraction, I left the house at 10 and went next door for my weekly dose of crow at McDonalds.  (This is an idiom.  They don't actually eat crows in China, as far as I know.)  Even a two-story, crowded, fast-food chain seemed tranquil in comparison to the drilling noise.  Got the usual and grabbed a window seat so I could people-watch while I ate.  Turns out the most interesting people were inside.  No one (other than me) seems to bus their trays here, but I just noticed that this morning.  So when the guy at the little table next to me got up and walked away from his tray with his half-full soda and entire hashbrown patty still on it, I subconsciously assumed he would be right back.  Therefore I was slightly alarmed when about 10 seconds later an old toothless man leaned over from the other side and took first his napkins, then the hashbrowns, looking over his shoulder all the while.  Another minute later, he grabbed the soda.  I decided to hit the road before he set his sights on my coffee. 

I went to what we refer to as our "internet cafe".  Really it's just a little cafe like any other except that it's near a park and for reasons I don't understand, the Macau government provides free wifi at various locations throughout the island, mostly parks and museums.  I'm not sure if it's because they own that land and it's just a matter of convenience for them or what, but it's not like I'm really wanting to try to use my laptop in the park or drag it to a museum.  So, since we get signal from the park, this place became our e-cafe.  I spent a couple hours there going over the textbooks for my classes and drinking a hot tea, even though it was probably in the 90s again today, because I didn't know the word for cold.  (I asked Angie and added it to my notebook as soon as I got home.)  I got tired around lunchtime so I headed home. 

On the way I stopped at a store called Opera (many of the stores have funny English names) because I've been trying to find some more teacher clothes for my wardrobe.  Really all I want is some simple button-up dress shirts.  No ruffles, no sequins, no bizarre English sayings or pictures.  I found a couple and tried them on, but had a little trouble finding one that fit well - arms too long, hips too wide.  Finally I thought I had a good one and the price was right.  Only MOP118, which is like $15.  But at the last minute she pointed out to me that the shirt had a couple of stains on it and asked "It's ok?"  No, it's not ok.  If I wanted a stained shirt I'd find the Salvation Army.  She told me they get new shipments every week, so maybe I'll go back and try again later.  Otherwise I might have to wait until I can go to H&M in Hong Kong.

Went home, ate lunch on the balcony to escape the drilling, put in earplugs and took a nap, then went to check out the English mass at 5:30.  It was nice, the church is just slightly bigger than the one I grew up going to in Deer River.  The priest was Portuguese, and I enjoyed listening to his accent.  It was a pretty full house and he and I were the only non-Asians present.  It was pretty much as expected, with a few eccentricities.  The music book looked to be a homemade compilation and most of the songs were ones I knew.  The song leaders were a group of four people playing guitar and a woman with maracas.   Something about their sound or the songs they chose was very folky, like the Chinese Catholic version of Peter, Paul and Mary.  Also they don't shake hands at the sign of peace, they bow.  I didn't think bowing was a big deal here since I haven't seen any of it yet, but that's what they did.  To paraphrase Vincent Vega, they have all the same stuff here as they do back home - it's just a little different.  Sorry, no pictures today, I was off my game.  I'll try to get one of the church later if I can do so without seeming disrespectful. 

Came home, got some salmon sashimi and edamame from the sushi place downstairs, made some rice and called it dinner.  Then I got to Skype with Rach and the kids and then was serenaded by my housemates.  Beth plays the flute and Angie sings and plays guitar.  They're both quite good and are trying to get me up to speed with my harmonicas so we can start playing on the street corner.  Yet another goal to aspire to. 

The Weather

That's it for today, but I had a request from my Auntie Dode for some more info about the weather and I aim to please.  I think I've mentioned the heat, but if you'd like to see a chart of just how hot it is now and year round, please find one below.  I've also included the forecast from the Weather Underground.  As you can see, when I took this screenshot at around 9pm, it was 29 degrees Celsius, but "felt like" 36.  For those that have trouble with the conversion, that means it's in the high 80's, even at night, but feels hotter because of the humidity.  Stand in the sun and all you can think of is the word "wither".  It's humid all the time, even when it's raining.  It can go from clear to pouring in a second.  When it decides to rain, the bottom just drops out.  As my friend Aaron from college advised when I asked him how he coped with tropical weather in the Peace Corps - "Just get used to being slightly sweaty all the time."  I think I'm there. 

But I think we're nearing the end of rainy (typhoon) season and by October/November it should begin to cool down.  So for those of you thinking of visiting, check it out and decide what suits you best.  I'll post some more about the various holidays and festivals when I learn more.  Still not completely sure how much time I get off, etc. 



4 comments:

  1. It was great to talk with you today! I'm so glad you figured out the skyping problem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So are you serious about playing harmonica on street corners??? Funny about the food and the shirts... a frugal people. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie probably is. Right now I'm just hoping to find time to look over the instruction books. Performing is not even on the horizon. But sure, if I get good enough I'd do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! It gets cold there. LOL!

    ReplyDelete