Friday, August 26, 2011

Lesson plans and Guia Hill

Lunch, brought to you by the letter P
Got up bright and early at 7 today, cleaned my room and bathroom, did yoga, ate breakfast and got a good start on my schoolwork.  At lunchtime I decided to get a little fresh air and went to the open market for a bite.  First I got some tofu fa (there are different names for this tasty treat, but basically it's very soft tofu in a sugar syrup).  Normally I've only had it at dim sum places, but now I can get it off the street for only MOP4.  That's 50 cents.  Yum!  Then I found some persimmons!  My new favorite fruit as of last year.  They were delicious, but much squishier than the ones I've had in Berkeley.  I also found a place to buy potstickers, which were tasty as well even though they only had veggies inside.  Not sure what kind they were, but something dark green.

Then I came home and worked on my lesson plans some more until Beth asked me if I wanted to go for a walk in the park near our house, which is on Guia Hill.  Despite the large amount of work I have left to do before Monday, I said yes because I've been wanting to go there since I arrived and this is the first time it worked out to go with Beth.  (And by that I mean it's the first time she's invited me to go after 10am.)  So you can thank her for the photos right and below, because without her it would have been a pretty boring post.


The photo you see above is the entrance gate, complete with gondola lifts in the distance.  There's a paved loop up several flights of stairs that goes all the way around the "hill" (it's somewhere between a large hill and a small mountain).  It was a great place to see some different views of the city and to people-watch.  We got to do a little animal watching too because there are a lot of stray cats there.  There are also a few caged animals, including some peacocks, monkeys and a tired looking bear.   There's also a lighthouse and a chapel at the top, but we didn't go that far this time.  Lots of beautiful trees and plants too, like the purple flower below. 


On the way home we stopped at the frozen yogurt place and then went back to work.  Made myself a responsible dinner of rice, a frozen chicken breast I got from the grocery store (my days of slaughter may be over), and some of the large bag of bok choy I accidentally bought.  It was good, and afterwards Angie suggested we go out to get egg tarts for dessert.  I never need convincing for that, so out we went and now I'm back at my desk to try to get a little more work done before bed.  So much to plan, so little time.  But the blog must go on.  :)







Aren't these koi beautiful?
Just a reminder that if you click on the photos you can see them larger.



No comments:

Post a Comment