Saturday, August 27, 2011

It's the final countdown...


Sorry, I have this stuck in my head, and so you must have it too.  Well I'm much closer to being prepared, but still have more I'd like to do tomorrow.  I'm only teaching two courses, but there are two sections of one of them and they're slightly different, especially the first few weeks. So I'm kind of prepping for three classes.  Two and a half.  Got the syllabi made, the calendars made, the lesson plans mostly complete, but still need to get a better grasp of the online Moodle courses.  There's a lot on there, which is good for the students, but I feel like I need to familiarize myself with it so I can direct them and it's a lot to wade through.  Made my introduction powerpoint with some photos of MN and CA. 

When I wasn't doing those things I was taking a break to eat or relax or fix the door. 

Relaxing: I've been needing a pedicure, but waited until this weekend so they would look good for the first week of school.  Jelly Nails was very nice (although it can't hold a candle to Vanessa and the other ladies at Sassy Nails on Piedmont Avenue).  No massage included but it was only MOP95, about $12, and I got to look at wacky Asian fashion magazines! 

I also stopped to check out an acupuncture place right next door and when I first entered and said I wanted needles, they said "for losing weight?"  (Insert growling noise here.  So it's that kind of place huh?  There's all kinds of signs for beauty and massage that involve scary looking machines and pictures of cellulose.  I'm trying to avoid those. ) When I said "no" they directed me to take a seat and then I waited for the better part of an hour for someone who spoke English to come out and talk to me.  (I'm interested in it because I injured my wrist last winter and thought it might help.)  At one point three of them were conversing in Chinese and gently moving and prodding my wrist in turn.  In the end I got a referral for an acupuncturist who's supposed to "be more like a real doctor".  Awesome.  To be continued.
Eating: On the way back from Jelly I stopped at IChoice, a fried chicken chain I've been eying up.  I got a leg to go and some big fry looking things that they told me were sweet potatoes.  I brought them home, made another huge batch of the bok choy I bought and sat down to eat.  I was afraid the bright red powder on the fries was some kind of spicy thing, but no.  It was sweet.  Really sweet.  So sweet potatoes with even sweeter powder on the outside.  Gross!
Y'all know I like sugar, but even I have a limit.  Chicken was great!

Fixing: I went to take out the trash yestermorning and in my groggy state didn't notice the security latch was flipped over to the lock position.  I barely tugged on it, but the knob part plunked down loudly on the tile.  Super secure!  So I had to take a measurement, go out and find another lock and bring it home to install it.  Good thing I brought my leatherman along!










And eating again.  Yes, Angie, I'm eating again!  Apparantly she thinks that's all I do around here.  :)  Um, hello, that's why I came to Macau!  Plus, I was raised with bedtime snacks and old habits die hard.  A bedtime snack while I blog is the perfect end to a long day.  Plus I found Little Schoolboys, and nothing beats those.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Yum cookies. And love the little milk bottle. Is that really all you have for a door lock?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, that's why it's so dumb. Wooden door has a regular lock, and a deadbolt and this broken security latch, plus a huge iron bar door outside that with a regular lock and a deadbolt. And an electronic keypad and a guard downstairs. It's like Fort Knox, but without the gold.

    ReplyDelete