Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The boys (and girls) in brown

Well, today the Christmas craziness came to an end.  Or at least a major slowing.  I got up early (despite my late night shenanigans) and got to work finishing up my shopping, wrapping and card writing.  Beth accompanied me on my afternoon journey, and I'm glad she did, because she helped me to get around the conspiratorial bus system and road construction crews which tried to prevent us from reaching the UPS in Old Taipa Village.  But finally we managed it.  Then of course in addition to filling out forms listing each individual item and its price (which for once I remembered to write down in advance) I also had to let the dude see each item.  Luckily, he just let me peel open the end of each present and that was enough, but still a pain.  Again, Beth helped by patiently retaping each gift as soon as I had cut it open and shown him.  It was mostly just jumping through hoops - very few of the gifts did he actually see.  In most cases he just saw the boxes.  Are they looking for bombs?  Drugs?  Bird nests?  Certainly there must be a better way.  Anyway, with luck it will arrive at Moose Lake before the weekend.


 That done, we went to the post office back in Macau to pick up Beth's Christmas box, then we went to get dinner.  We got pizza and it was tasty, as is every form of cheese these days.  After dinner we cleaned up a bit and then watched the next HP movie while Beth worked on her blanket and I finished up some other wrapping that will just have to be late.  (Sorry, Toppes.) 

While we were wandering about today, we saw a few fun sights.


Freshly made noodles - just resting (drying?) out in the street.


These guys were too homely to ignore.  Anyone know what they are?  
If so, you are welcome to leave an Anonymous comment.  Although I hate wondering.


Also, a horse.


We were lucky to be seated next to this exciting display during our meal.  I liked that the lights flashed in time with the music.  We also got to hear a bunch of classic songs covered by a slow loungey-elevator-style female singer.   Tainted Love, Hey Jude, Is This Love, Light My Fire, and more.  It was weird.


Finally, our presents around the tree on a freshly mopped floor.  Yay!!!

5 comments:

  1. Love you Christmas tree! But, need to do some decorating to make it look appropriate. I imagine noodles to be long & stringy, not like a shell. But suppose they taste good no matter what shape they are in! Whatever those ornaments were, if they matched your house, they would be something unusual to have to talk about--& guess what they are!?!
    aunt jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie: The tree is decorated, just hard to see in this photo. The noodles are long and stringy, but they wrap them into these little nests to keep them intact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think those are lobsters...
    miranda

    ReplyDelete