Monday, December 12, 2011

Christmas Presents!!!

Well, I turned in my grades today, which was a pleasant relief.  I also had a meeting in the morning to discuss the materials we're going to cover next semester for the Level 0 classes.  Then later I worked with a fellow Level 2 teacher on a video activity we're trying to finish by Friday on gestural communication.   We did some good work on it, but after taking the footage home to look at, it became immediately apparent that we have more work to do.  We were taping in a tiny office and there are limited camera angles available.  So the shots are just not clear enough.  This is a bummer, because it means I will probably have to go back into Taipa again tomorrow to redo it.  A day that does not involve going to Taipa is a very good day, I always say.  Oh well.

In addition to my failed video project, I managed to get sticky tack on my jeans.  Janice, the lady I was working with, had some on her mouse cord to try to keep it in place.  Clearly it didn't work because the cord was dangling down at pant leg level and I guess I bumped it while we were working.  Great.  I'm hoping it comes off the same way as gum, because I only have two pairs of jeans here and I can't imagine how hard it would be to find a new pair in this land of tiny heinies.  Good thing I have all that valuable experience working as a school janitor to aid me.

But, after work I went to the post office to pick up a Christmas box!!!  The videotaping took so long, I was afraid I wouldn't make it by 6, but I did and it was nice because the crazy decorations in Senado Square were just being lit up.  Proof that even degenerate reindeer are still nice to have around.



I thought these lights were pretty cool though.  I've seen them in a few other places as well, but it's a really nice effect on this building.  Not sure if it's supposed to be rain or snow, but I like it.


Got home and opened my box, being very careful not to look at the contents on the customs form.  They sure like to ruin a surprise, don't they?


Great spread, huh?  It's from my parents.  My mom is the queen of gift giving and prep, so as you can see they are all beautifully wrapped.   (Dad does a nice job too, especially for a guy, but Mom could be an Olympic medalist if they had an event for it.  Actually, that might be a nice change of pace since some of the events are so bizarre.  Reminds me of Jerry Seinfeld's rant about the involuntary luge.)  In case you're wondering, the white thing with the bells tied on is a dish-washing scratchie - mom crochets them out of tulle.  A very nice and practical gift.


I, on the other hand, am the queen of gift guessing.  I've gotten rusty in the past few years because it's been so hectic when I go back that I don't have time for a proper session; but when I was younger I used to find all my gifts under the tree, shake and prod and examine each one and try to guess what it might be.  It's really fun, and I was fairly good at it.  I did a preliminary round tonight and so far I'm going with several items of clothing and some jewelry for sure, but clearly I need a second attempt.  Fun!!!


They also included a generous supply of Christmas nougats, which are one of my favorite holiday candies.


I would never dream of opening something early, but Mom told me I could enjoy this one in advance.  Isn't it great?  A tiny LED tree that plugs into your computer!  Cool huh? 

THANKS MOM AND DAD!!!  I'M SUPER EXCITED!!!
:D

3 comments:

  1. We're so glad your package got there on time. You are so right about your Mom being an olympic champian gifter. I am there for most of the many runs to stores and buying 2 or 3 of most things til she's got the perfect gift. Everyone has to have the right number of gifts, some they requested & some that are surprises. She's taken it to a new level with online shopping, now she can access the world instead of just Grand Rapids and Duluth. I'm glad you girls appreciate the time & effort she puts into making all of your christmas's special, she's pretty special herself. I made chocolate mice this morning to add to the stash of goodies for the holidays. Take care & enyoy your break! Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your videos - and your jeans!

    I'm glad to see there's holiday cheer happening around Macau - the lights are super cool! And the LED Christmas tree!

    Hooray Mom! - she was worried her curling ribbon would be thoroughly squashed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're excited... me too, since I've forgotten some of what we sent! Ha I was feeling sorry for you not having any decorations to enjoy, but am pleased that you do have some pretty ones in the city after all. Should have sent you some pine to sniff, but customs dogs may have torn your box to shreds! And yes... you were always the queen of gift guessing.

    ReplyDelete