Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

My Christmas turned out very nicely in the end.

Beth made a breakfast casserole with cheese and sausage and eggs and hashbrowns, so that was a lovely way to start the day.

Then her dad, Marshall, read us the Cajun Night Before Christmas over Skype, which is a family tradition in the Neely home.  Here's the cover and the intro.  As you can see, Santa rides a skiff pulled by alligators. 


Twas the night before Christmas
an' all t'ru de house,
Dey don't a ting pass
Not even a mouse.

After breakfast and storytime, I joined Beth at her church service so I could listen to her sing in the choir.  They sang some traditional Christmas songs with the rest of the congregation too and everyone sang in their language of choice, so I got to hear Hark the Herald Angels Sing, O Come all Ye Faithful and other favorites in Cantonese.  It was pretty cool.


Then we came home and took a nap and talked to our families some more.  In the late afternoon we watched It's a Wonderful Life.  I love it every year, especially this scene.

Afterward Beth and I went out to get Indian for dinner, and it was delicious as always. 


I got up early this morning to open gifts with my family over Skype.  It was fun and I love watching my niece and nephew perform.


And below are pictures of all my gifts.  In addition to these great items, my folks gave me shopping money that I intend to use on some more shoes.  :)  My sisters still have packages coming as well.  Yay!

A couple things to make my desk more fun - an LED tree that plugs into my computer, and a sand art maker.

I always love jewelry - and these "re-purposed" pieces will go nicely with my copper ring.

Mom knitted these fingerless gloves for me - aren't they great?

I've been looking all over for nice wool socks to wear inside my doc martins.  Mom sent me two pairs!  Also, Beth gave me these ankle socks so I could join the Lego Che Guevara madness.

And, finally, some fleece jammies.  Warm pajamas are always nice - especially red ones.

For dinner we went out with Yeow-Tong, our downstairs neighbor, and his girlfriend Joie.  This Shanghai-style place is always really good.  Everything was delish!

We're glad to have Angie back from Taiwan - the house was pretty quiet without her.  She brought us back these souvenirs!

A nice Christmas in all - I hope yours was too.

p.s. If you haven't tried it already, google "let it snow".  :)

4 comments:

  1. Good to hear you are having a pleasant Christmas! Sounds like all went super well! Nice gifts you showed too! We had a great Christmas! We were supposed to have Erin/Monte & their 2 Corgi dogs, Winston/Ralphie, & a friend's Corgi too join us, but they weren't able to come. Bummer! So, we just had Derek & Drew beside Mike/me. Very quiet, if you call having Derek's 2 dogs & Drew's 2 cats quiet! Our meal turned out good & we having left-overs for supper tonight. I hear Derek grumbling out being hungry, to better head for the kitchen!
    aunt jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got a little behind on your blogs, but luckily I spent a good amount of the in between time in your cyber presence!

    It was great to get to spend time with you over the weekend - even though it wasn't quite the same as usual!

    Terrific blogs and Christmas letter, as always. I'm so glad that you had a lovely Christmas!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. no no no - that was Rachel, not mom and dad. i'm using their computer --- oops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) I figured it was - not enough ellipses to be Mom and her account name is xo.

    ReplyDelete