Friday, December 2, 2011

No more pencils, no more books...

No more students' vacant looks.  :)  Just kidding, I love my students and was very sad to say goodbye to them today and yesterday.  Many of them asked me to pose for pictures with them, which I thought was totally adorable.  I had planned to take a class picture of my Level 0's, since they're my first class ever, but only half of them showed up today.  I guess the pressure of all their other exams outweighed the fun of a class party.  Either that or they were too embarrassed because I was showing their commercials in class.  Some of them are insanely shy.

But the point is - school's out for the semester and consequently I can't get this song out of my head.  (Kind of a goofy version, but a video that includes Sweetums is always a bonus.)  Being my overachieving self, I already have a list a mile long of things I want to do during the break, so I'll have to write it all out and prioritize, cause that's what Virgos do best.  But first, I'm going to spend a few days in Hong Kong with A, B, and C to relax.  Therefore, don't expect another post until Monday night.


By lucky chance, tonight was a scheduled massage night - what a great way to end 14 weeks of hard work.  When she was finished tonight, Jaja was commenting on how much "progress" she's made with me.  She said something to the effect of "When I first come here, your shoulders can barely move.  But now I can move them around much better, not so many stones."  I love being told how stone-like I am.  Reminds me of the time my Berkeley acupuncturist tried to release my shoulder muscles the quick and dirty way - with a needle.  I bent two of them before she succeeded.  (sigh)  It also reminds me of the time the adorable Katia Luke (age 7) snuggled up in my lap and laid her head on my chest and told me that it very comfortable because she liked to lay on hard things.  "What do you mean?", I asked.  She said, "You know, like rocks."  I tried to take this as the compliment I'm sure it was intended to be.

But now I feel great and I've got my heater on for the first time, so my room is nice and toasty and relaxing.  It turned cold yesterday and I got to try out my winter coat and have started looking much more seriously for fleece pajamas.  I found a pair for 600MOP, which is about $75USD, and although they look very warm, they're hideously girly.  I can find something hideous for much cheaper than that, I'm just sure of it.  I'll have to add it to my HK shopping list.

Beth and I went to look for Christmas decorations after work today.  We got some lights but haven't put them up yet.  We decided some cheap paper snowflakes might be the way to go, and I'll probably bust out the window markers from my folks and do up the sliding glass door.  It'll be just like the window painting competition we had every holiday season in high school.  Only better, because high school is long gone.  Macau is getting ready for the holidays too.  Here are a few shots of Christmas-type stuff I've noticed around town.


At the Park-N-Shop grocery store.


There are all kinds of these lantern-type decorations going up around town. 
All still in plastic.


Another grocery store display.


Outside the New Yaohan department store.


And inside the New Yaohan.  Hello Kitty stockings - of course.

5 comments:

  1. Now you know how we've felt every vacation and summer all of our lives. No matter how good your classes are, it's always a great relief to finish another session. Now we feel that way after 1 day of subbing and if you have to go 3 or 4 in a row, it's excrutiating. It's a lot harder to get fired up about it when they're not really your classes and you have so little control and such a small window to make a difference. I used to have to remove a kid from class once every 5 or 6 years, now I can't go 5 or 6 hours without having to give someone the boot. I hope it's not that I'm getting to be an old fart. Mom and I had a pretty good day shopping in Duluth yesterday, but still have a ways to go to be Christmas ready. Enjoy your trip to Hong Kong and some much deserved rest. Love ya, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I said, "you rock!" Surely that's what Jaja and Katia meant.

    I'm so glad that it's Christmas break for you - how exciting! And I'm glad you're seeing some signs of the holidays over there...I never know what to expect from the other side of the world!

    I'm glad you'll be getting away for some fun before putting yourself back to work. On a related note, will you still be able to transfer my calendar files for me this year if I send them next week?

    Have a good one! We'll have to skype soon now that you have some more free time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good feeling to be done with teaching, for awhile!
    Will you have the same group after Christmas? Hope you can find some nice warm pj's in Hong Kong that don't cost an arm & leg! Am glad you have such good friends to be with during Christmas!
    aunt jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad: I'm sure it's them, not you. :)

    Rach: Thanks. I'm sure it is. :)
    No problem on the calendar files - send 'em on over.
    For shiz on the Skyping - I'll let you know when I'm back and free next week!

    Jackie: Not sure who I'll have next semester. The office won't decide our schedules until registration is done, but they've told me they like to keep the same groups together when possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for being done... pat yourself on the back for me! Sounds like you have a fine stretch ahead of you... Enjoy your days! (Always good advice- Ha)

    ReplyDelete