Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Day After American Censorship Day








I want to begin today's blog by bringing your attention to an important piece of legislation that will likely affect anyone who reads blogs like mine in the future.  It's called the Protect-IP Act and apparently yesterday was the day to protest it.  By the time I found out it was already tomorrow (today).  You know what I mean.

Anyway, I don't know a ton about it because I just learned about it this afternoon, but it sounds like one of those ideas that starts as a good theory and then becomes a huge mess.  I won't go to great lengths to describe it, because I'd just be paraphrasing this video, and watching the video will be more enjoyable.  So here it is, as well as the link to the site I read about it on, in case you want more info or to send an e-letter to your representative.




http://americancensorship.org/


Another chaotic and long day at work.  We're all on the verge of getting sick and every teacher I see looks a little crazier/more frazzled than the last.  Poor Angie has lost her voice completely.  We are having fun teasing her about it, but I am secretly very empathetic.  Losing your voice sucks, especially when you need it to do your job.  There's a light at the end of the tunnel though - a light named Jaja.  So basically I'm just trying to focus on getting to tomorrow at 8pm.

I'm pretty much done teaching new content to my students as of today.  Next week will be review and test-taking and then the final week will be more tests, going over test answers and final day parties.  Two of my classes gave group presentations today.  So cute, some of them get really embarrassed.  Again, I empathize, but it's been so long since I got nervous about a presentation that I can't help but smile a little.  I was pleasantly surprised at how dynamic some of them were though, and how loud.  Some of my female students barely ever speak above a whisper.  Now I know they are capable, if unwilling.  And some of them just talked too much.  These were supposed to be 10 minute presentations - for groups of 3-5.  I had two groups that took 23 minutes!!!  What the hell!?!  I told them to practice and that they'd be marked for time, but I guess they just underestimated or didn't practice at all, cause whoa!!!  One of the groups only had 3 people.  The first 10 minutes was all the same woman!  So yet another lesson learned for next time.  Expect people to go over no matter what you do.  The sucky thing is that I couldn't just cut them off without hearing each person or I would have nothing to grade them on.  So I guess either be militant about each person's time in the future, or just plan a little extra space in the schedule for people like these.  Sheesh.

So because of these extra long presentations, my night class didn't finish until close to 8:30.  The bus ride back was uneventful, I guess all the Grand Prix people are home for the day.  It was raining today, which made it extra crazy on the ride in this morning.  Standing at the bus station on rainy nights always makes me think of the scene in Blade Runner where we first meet Deckard in the futuristic L.A. Chinatown.  It's super urban, grimy, dark, drizzling, neon lights flashing everywhere with Asian characters.  Today I expressed this comparison to Beth.  She's never seen the film, so I tried to explain, but it's complicated. "It's kind of a creepy sci-fi movie about the future," I began.  "You really like those kind of movies, huh?" she replied.  I guess I must.  :)  I have kind of a love/hate relationship with Blade Runner though, because although it's intriguing, it's one of those movies that leaves you hanging at the end without a satisfying explanation.  I HATE that.  Every time I see it I hope I'm going to finally come to a conclusion.  No.  Maybe if I see it here, in a more simpatico place, I'll finally figure it out.  I'll let you know - first I have to find a copy.  Luckily, I'm in download land.


5 comments:

  1. Blade Runner is based on Phillip K. Dick's book, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. Great book! Dark, creepy, intriguing. Must read to have the story make sense. The film just doesn't do the story justice, but it's gorgeous to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is there a movie with Harrison Ford clearly in his prime that I haven't seen?!

    I'm disappointed in myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am wondering the same as Rachel, why haven't I seen Blade Runner? I love Harrison Ford & thought I saw all his movies. Well, know what I am renting this weekend!
    I'm sick of our government getting into everyone else's business. Just leave us alone! I believe that we have good sense & can regulate ourselves.
    aunt jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who made that first comment? Usually I can guess, but not this time. I knew about the book, but was not under the impression that it was any clearer. Will put it on my reading list. A caveat to my endorsement - it's creepy and violent in some parts. I still think it's worth watching, but you have been warned. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Comment was probably made by some big brother watching your use of movie clips! Yiii

    Sorry to hear that you are all doing yourselves in. Hang in there. It's always nice to end up with a party!

    ReplyDelete