Saturday, November 5, 2011

I am Jack's lame excuse

So we didn't stay up and watch Fight Club on Wednesday after all - it was just too late by the time we got around to it.  So we watched it last night instead and then afterward I replanned my lesson for today because I got a look at the final exam and realized that one of the teachers had included a bunch of stuff I hadn't taught.  Plus I had nothing of interest to say or show you.  So, A+B+C=X.  If X is greater than my level of motivation, I don't write a blog.  So sorry.

Today was good.  I'm finally feeling like I can keep up with what's going on at school.  Too bad it took me until week 10 to feel that way.  Only a few more to go and then I have a whole month off to relax.  Yay!!!  After work I came home and cleaned up, ate dinner, and read another chapter of You Are Here by Thich Nhat Hanh.  Have I mentioned how much I like his writing?  I'll mention it again. The chapter I was reading talked about how it's important to stop and be present every day - stop running around worrying about the future or dwelling in the past.  It made an interesting parallel in my mind to In Time - because in that future society, where time is the currency of life, only the poor run.  That's one way the rich can mark them - if they run or do things too fast.  I don't really worry too much, but I am a notorious planner and I do try to do too much, which means I run around a lot, figuratively.  Hard to relax and enjoy life and be healthy with that approach.  But I'm working on it. 

Anyway, good dinner, good reading, then Jaja came over.  Having been fortunate enough to receive a lot of massage work over the past five years, it's always fun to see the original moves some practitioners come up with.  She did this neck twisting thing to me tonight that was incredible.  So worth the 360 patacas.  My shoulder is barely bothering me at all even though I'm hunched over a computer most of the day.  Totally great - I should thank Kim again for introducing me.

Alright, more random photos from recent days.


Noticed this poster outside McDonald's.  That's right, it's Hello Kitty dressed as Ronald and Company.  Seriously, is there anything you can't put Hello Kitty on?


I happened to look up and see this crazy tree while I was walking home one night.  It was lit by a streetlamp which showed the moss growing all over it's trunk.  Cool, huh?


The latest DIY.  I broke my sunglasses a couple weeks ago and got this replacement pair at a flea market.  Yesterday one of the bows just fell of while I was wearing them.  I guess the screw worked its way out.  I couldn't find it, and I'm not about to wander around trying to find a new one.  It's hard enough to manage that in the States.  Luckily, I have a leatherman, a binder clip, and a healthy set of problem solving skills.  Tadaa!  Good as new.  




Weather was absolutely gorgeous again today.  I wandered around outside for a bit at lunch, (see the video above), but not nearly long enough.  Got to try to get some fresh air this weekend.   Took this shot of some crazy glass sculptures in the setting sun as I was waiting for my bus transfer.


For those friends of mine that either give or receive a lot of massage, you might be amused by my home-made "table" setup.  It's taken me the last three sessions to perfect this, but I think I finally have it worked out.   I have to lie diagonally so Jaja has enough room to work, and that stool is for her.  Got the blowup neck pillow for my face when I'm lying on my belly so my nose and jaw and neck don't get crushed by the pressure.  (It took me several attempts to find something that was strong and cushy enough but didn't make me suffocate.)  Finally remembered to use my regular pillow for under my legs so the tops of my feet don't get hurt either.  It's amazing how much pressure it takes for some of your bigger muscles to let go.  Luckily I got some of Jay's massage music saved on my computer before I left, so I don't have to hear the street noise while I'm trying to relax.  Not a spa, but not too shabby either.  And as my favorite friend in South Africa would say, "Improvising is half the fun!" 

3 comments:

  1. I love your close up glasses photo with arrows and all...MacGyver never had the computer skills you have, MacGardner!

    Cool sculptures- almost make you dizzy!

    TGIF here - girls weekend at the Becks should be lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that tree! Don't think I would enjoy a massage by anyone. Husband is the best foot rubber in the world! Not bad on backs either, but much prefer having my feet rubbed & rubbed & rubber some more!
    Any special plans for your month off?
    aunt jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rach: MacGardner, I could get used to that. :)
    Jackie: Yes, I plan to explore all the parts of Macau I haven't been to yet.

    ReplyDelete