Saturday, November 12, 2011

It's a - nice day for a - International Food Festival!!!

Tonight we went out for the 11th Annual International Food Festival and it was a lot of fun.  We got there around 9pm and wandered around listening and eating and people-watching until it closed down at midnight.  Here are the photos.  Happy 11-11-11, which I learned from a student this morning is a day to celebrate being single!

The usual suspects

Our food and game coupons
First awesome find - Thai ice tea!  Love it!


It was oysters and scallops covered in cheese - mixed reviews.

The insanely good custard bun.

Not sure what was inside these purple eggs. 
Carol guessed they were balut - chicken fetuses.
Another "delicacy" I won't be trying.

We started seeing Christmas lights tonight since "winter" just began on the lunar calendar.
Not sure if you can tell, but these lights are shaped like maple leaves.
I totally want one for our apartment.


Angie's lame prizes.

Want a tuna head?  Only $1800.


Got to enjoy the full moon and a lovely evening.

I liked this golden peacock outside the Indian stall.

Awesome find #2 - chap chae - my favorite Korean noodle dish.


This band was playing all American songs.  They first got my attention because I could hear country music drifting through the air.  I turned to Beth to confirm and she said "Yep, that's Shania Twain."  Next they bust out this one - Billy Idol's "White Wedding".  What!?!?!?!?!  I turn to my companions in disbelief and am met with blank stares.  None of them know this song.  Just because it came out before you were born doesn't mean you shouldn't know White Wedding!!!  Next they played Shakira's "This time for Africa", and then it was my turn to be in the dark.  Sometimes being old is kind of embarrassing.

This got kind of blurry but it's too funny to leave out.
Nice pose Angie.  It's blurry 'cause I'm laughing.

I really liked this cool triangular sidewalk,
especially this part where the tree roots were growing through.

We passed the Macau SAR offices as we walked home.

We also passed this gnarly tree.  Cool huh?

5 comments:

  1. You're looking great as always...please tell me that's a red cape peeking over your shoulder!

    It looks like a fun night! Great pics!

    We'll be missing you in Mahnomen this weekend! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures of you & your friends! Your friends sound like treasures! Looked like a fun festival! Love that golden peacock!!!
    aunt jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rach: Haha, I wish. It does look like a cape, doesn't it? Actually that's the hood from the overly-expensive red hoodie I bought with my birthday money. I call it my Michael Jackson hoodie because I immediately thought of him when I saw it on the mannequin and that's always a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't feel too old, Jess. I definitely know (and kind of love) White Wedding, and have never heard of the Shakira song. I think it's more a question of taste than age :)

    That sidewalk with the tree roots is awesome... looks like something out of LOTR.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Becky, I'm glad you're here to back me up.

    ReplyDelete