Saturday, September 17, 2011

Payday!

My morning got off to a good start when I spotted this lady waiting for the bus with me.  As you can probably infer, wacky shoes are very popular here.  I may have to find some for my niece.

School went pretty well - I was a little discouraged because I gave a quiz and my students did pretty poorly on it.  But I guess it's an opportunity for me to figure out what is and is not working.  I have them write a daily journal and many of them said the bookwork we did yesterday was kind of boring.  We did a much more interactive lesson today and almost everyone wrote about how much they liked it, so that made me feel better.  I'm still working on finding the balance of things though, like how strict to be, how much work to assign, how concerned to be when they aren't catching on... Also, one of my favorite students wrote that he had trouble reading my handwriting sometimes.  Thanks Givy, I realize it's terrible.  So they can't understand me when I talk fast or when I write on the board.  Awesome.  (Sigh) 

Luckily Beth had the good idea to take a walk after work and that was very pleasant.  This cool old building to the right is something we passed along the way.  We recently discovered a new area of Macau - the reservoir. 


It was warm and breezy and lovely and we walked a long way.  Our path took us past this stretch of road where they have the Macau Grande Prix in November. 



My phone camera didn't capture the colors very well, but these clouds were beautiful.


There are still decorations from the Mid-Autumn festival up and they were too fun to ignore.


And I liked the look of this old, weathered overpass.


Then we suddenly came upon the window of this hardware store and it took me a minute to understand what was happening.  Kind of surreal.



Also, we finally got paid today, so Beth and I decided to celebrate with sushi!  It was very good and at least somewhat affordable.  There are many more things I'd like to try there - namely salmon sashimi slices as thick as my finger.  A dangerous place to have just down the block from us.  (Don't worry Sarah, I'm being figurative.)




BONUS SECTION!!! 
This comes compliments of my sister Becky who is recovering from knee surgery and is sending me all the goodies she finds online.  I have total celebrity crushes on all these guys.


Pearl Jam on Jimmy Fallon: (this clip is just Eddie)



Chris Cornell performing Hunger Strike with PJ at their recent concert in East Troy:



After watching the above I discovered Chris covering "Billie Jean" on YouTube - apparently this has been available since 2007.  Have I been living in a cave?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks again Becky for passing along Ed - awesome as always. But that Chris Cornell video is amazing! Who would have thought that you could cover a Michael Jackson song and make it better? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes... the ups and downs of teaching. The fine tuning never ends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I imagine you've already checked into this, but the Billie Jean cover is available on iTunes on his Carry On album. Download in progress :)

    ReplyDelete