Thursday, September 29, 2011

The things you see late at night

So yesterday, round about midnight, Beth comes into my room and says "Jess, open your window.  There's a woman hula-hooping in the apartment across from us."  I opened the curtains and lo - there she was, just as Beth described.  And here she is now, for your viewing pleasure.


I also took this vid a couple mornings ago when I was out running errands.  I was walking down a side street, which are normally a little quieter due to the lighter traffic, but the sound of birds chirping was echoing through the alleyway at an amazing level.  It's a little hard to see here, but the balcony in the center has like 10 bird cages strapped to it and other little free birds are flitting in and out to visit, or perhaps torment, the imprisoned ones.



This is also from a day or two ago.  When I was out and about I decided I wanted a snack and so I walked into one of the many, many bakeries all over Macau and ordered this little guy.  A sweet taro bun.  Taro is a purple root or corm that is used in some dishes here.  (Regular readers may recall the sweet taro pie on the McDonald's post.)  I like the color, even though it's a bit creepy and the bun was tasty.  It was just mildly sweet and that's powdered sugar on top, which I managed to get all over my shirt.  Walking and eating will do that when you're blonde.  The tongs and tray are just to give you a sense of the place.  There are stacks of them when you walk in, then you go around and select your items and place them on the probably-not-super-clean trays and then the clerk puts them in a small plastic bag for you to take away.


Today I was greeted with this sign when I arrived at school.  Not to worry, it's not a big deal until it gets to number 8.  This is like the blue level on the Homeland Security Terrorism Threat scale.  But I did think the verb choice was hilarious.  Is the signal a flag?


I received a note in my mailbox that two packages arrived for me!  Alas, I didn't leave work until 5 and the post office closes at 6, so I was too late.  Luckily the milk pudding shop I like is just down the street, so I sat on some steps and had one as a consolation.  This was my view while I ate.

3 comments:

  1. First off - yes, what's the deal with hula-hooping? Could've done it all day as a scrawny child, but now that I've got big hips to hold it up, it's somehow harder?! How does that make sense? One idea about why your neighbor may be hula-hooping, other than having an energetic inner child, is that some people do it for exercise. Steph had a weighted one that she used for a while. It was so intense that it actually bruised her all the way around her middle!

    The chirping is lovely, the bun is creepy and the sign is pretty funny. Doesn't quite translate without being bizarre - that seems to be the way of things there.

    I hope your packages are from me! Woohoo! I was just wondering when they'd show up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blonde? What? Taro Bun looks like something off Star Trek. ha

    ReplyDelete