Thursday, September 22, 2011

Smells like Macau

Sorry everyone.  Beth is being a bad influence and encouraging me to put sleep above the blog.  Normally I try to ignore this logical advice, but last night was an exception.  

So Mom asked me in a recent Skype conversation if there were any noteworthy smells I was noticing here.  At the time I couldn't think of anything, but I've been keeping track since then, and here's a short list of the regulars in no particular order.


Sesame oil.  They make it fresh in these big grinding gizmos at the outdoor market.


Dried fish.  Also at the outdoor market.
 

Incense.  Many people use burn this as part of their ancestor worship.


 Exhaust.  I'm pretty sure this thing needs a smog check, even though I'm guessing the leaves on the side are meant to reassure me of its environmental friendliness.


Durian.  The spiky, stinky fruit I mentioned previously.


 Cigarettes.  Smoking is allowed in restaurants and most public spaces, 
so I've had to get used to it again.

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm....can't say my nose is saying woohoo. Sorry, Macau.

    How did the test go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay... keep the smell reports coming. The smells sound fine... except the cigarettes (ish)... but so about the fish... no flies in Macau? Have you tried any? You mentioned smog the other day... is air pollution an issue? Nothing but questions... You know how curious I am... ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, of course there are flies. You just have to live with them. I have not tried dried fish, in any sizable quantity because I don't like the tiny quantities I've tried previously. Yes, air pollution is an issue in that they have it. I'm not wearing a mask or anything, if that's what you're asking. But sometimes the air looks hazy and dirty. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't given the test yet. Next friday. I had to write my part so the head teacher would have time to revise it and get it printed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad that smoking isn't allowed in restaurants. Don't think I could stand it! Although, when we've gone to other states, you may run into smoking being allowed. Good reason to stay in MN! Would love to smell that plant, Durian.
    auntjackie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well the best way to recreate it would be to cut up some very ripe fruit and some very stinky onions together and breathe deeply.

    ReplyDelete