Thursday, September 1, 2011

Today's theme is, ummmm.........


So most days I actually try to pick a theme or put some thought into what I'm gonna put in my blog in advance, but today was pretty hectic so it's a bit random.  Apologies.  I'm hoping by the time I get to the end a theme will have emerged.  I took the first image this morning to celebrate yet another instance of "improvising is half the fun".  This is how Beth and I make our toast in the mornings.  Just a frying pan on medium, throw the bread in for about a minute and then flip it using the chopsticks.  Easy, quick, and it works well.  I may not ever buy another toaster.


I took this next shot on the bus.  Now that I'm an ESL teacher I look differently at English and the way people use it.  Like this little bit of graffiti.  Clearly this was written by a non-native speaker who doesn't realize she needs an -s on hate.  So why would poor Candy choose English as the medium by which to pour out her soul on the bus?  Most of the graffiti I've seen is in characters.  Is there no word strong enough for hate in Chinese?  Was she just taking this opportunity to practice?  These are the silly questions I now ponder.


Got off the bus and did a double take at this scary thing lying in the median.  The Mid-Autumn Festival is almost upon us and I have no idea what it's about except that all kinds of these frightening doll things are popping up in public spaces around the city.  Will keep you posted...


Finally, if you need a little boost in life, look no further.  I have just discovered the most incredible bedtime snack known to woman.  I had the munchies, wandered into my kitchen and thought "what could be better than a Little Schoolboy cookie with milk?"  You guessed it!

I guess maybe the theme is - strange ideas. 

4 comments:

  1. It's hard for me to tell what that thing is in the median...can't see how it could be a doll thing...interested to hear more about them.

    The midnight snack looks great, although I am a real peanut butter snob and only eat Jif. Maybe that's not an option for you...or maybe you're not a snob. Becky and Mom both recognized those cookies, but I've never heard of them. How have tasty cookies escaped me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So perhaps this will help. The doll is a little girl type thing and she is laying on her back - profile shot. Head is to the right - looks like she has some kind of white hat or bun. Pink shoes to the left.

    I do not have the option of Jif and was glad to even have Skippy, which is pretty decent. The name on the box is Petit Ecolier (Little Schoolboy) and the brand is LU. I get the 70% extra dark ones. "Maybe I'm not a snob" - thank you for allowing for that possibility, but I think we both know the truth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are enjoying your bedtime snacks... so crucial for sweet dreams... but chocolate covered shortbread is hard to improve on. Was thinking perhaps Candy + Rufina both hate Mike... ehh??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps - or maybe they hate Hiko.

    ReplyDelete