Friday, September 2, 2011

"Them's Lasers!"

I don't know if anyone else remembers when David Letterman used to say this, but because I am so good at remembering useless quotes and song lyrics, it sprang to mind immediately when I heard about the laser show happening at St. Paul's ruins.  The show was totally awesome and it was a lovely warm evening to be out and about in the city.  We had a pretty big crew: Carol, her friends Karen and Mary, our coworker Chris, neighbor Yeow-Tong, and Beth and Angie and I.  First we met for dinner near Senado Square, which is a major tourist area near St. Paul's.  It was delicious, as is every place Carol brings us, and I got pan fried noodles again, because they are awesome.  You can see here some of the decorations for the upcoming Mid-Autumn Festival, which celebrates the harvest moon.  Here is a link to the Wikipedia site if you want to read more about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Autumn_Festival

After dinner we walked over to see the show.  I managed to get a little video, but it was tough to hold still with the camera over my head.  I guess they did it with some sort of image mapping technology.  I should have written down the website at the end so I could get you the deets, but I didn't.  Sorry faithful readers!



Afterward I accomplished a task I've been working toward since before I came to Macau.  Some of you may have watched or at least read about Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations episode on Macau.  I posted it early on in the blog before I arrived.  In it, he goes to a number of famous restaurants, including a little one that serves milk pudding.  I knew that sounded like something I'd enjoy, so I've been trying to get over there.  Finally accomplished it tonight and it was awesome!  Definitely going to be a regular stop when I'm in that area.  And don't you love the sign?

After the show I walked home by myself to enjoy the lights and night scenes of the city.  I took another short vid of a square near our house.  So many exciting things to see, and they're really not kidding about this festival.  There are lanterns and decorations going up everywhere.  I'm not a huge fan of mooncakes, but they seem to be an important part of the celebration, so I'll have to give them another go.  It was also a really cool view of the lighthouse on top of Guia Hill, although this probably doesn't do it justice.  You should come see it for yourselves!



When I was almost home a couple in front of me stopped to look at something on the ground.  At first I thought it was a cockroach, since we live in harmony with many of them here, but no, it was this exotic looking thing!  I have no idea what it was, but it was big!  Like 2 inches long!  Sorry it's kind of blurry, the bug was crawling and I didn't want to try to stop it or get too close.


This is a shot of the street near my house.  I just thought it looked cool.  Yay weekend!  Finally I can sleep in late!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun evening! Is that first picture outside? That can't be the street, can it?! Looks super cool! The laser video is hard to appreciate, but them's indeed be lasers.

    Have a peaceful weekend! I think this will be the first weekend at home for us with no plans. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the first picture is outside. Some of the squares and other touristy parts of town are cobblestoned - thanks to the Portuguese. Mostly those are the areas for walking, not driving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a lovely festival... night lights are always pretty! Reading about their myths interesting... rabbit making medicine on the moon. Our lazy man in the moon doing nothing!

    ReplyDelete