Monday, September 19, 2011

What You Want is What You Get

Remember this?
It was the slogan for McDonald's in the early 90's.  I've been thinking a lot about advertising lately, since it's the topic we're covering in my Level 0 class.  So when Beth and I went across the street for our weekly ritual this morning, I couldn't help thinking about global advertisers, and the differing campaigns for target markets in other countries.  (vocabulary words are all underlined)



Apparently in Macau, what they want is the Shogun Burger - it seems to have just made a reappearance.  I'm not sure what's on those fries, but they look kind of weird to me.  Even weirder is the website for the Shogun Burger, where you can be a film director and create a romantic love story between Miss Tamago and Shogun.  Um, what?!?
http://www.mcdonalds.com.hk/english/campaign/shogunwithegg/


Also available on this side of the world is the Green Tea and Red Bean Sundae.
Move over chocolate!


Or how about the deliciously purple Sweet Taro Pie?


I won't disturb you further by going into the section of our textbook that talks about how Frito-Lay made Cheetos in flavor variants like butter, Japanese steak, and crispy fresh seafood since Chinese peeps don't like cheese.  Ug.  Don't replace my neon orange cheese with something weird and artificial!  Oh, wait.

Gross to contemplate sometimes, but it gets you thinking about the power of advertising.  In fact, I saw a young woman earlier this week wearing a t-shirt that said "You are what you eat" and had a picture of a cartoon toddler-aged Ronald McDonald.  It was disturbing and she was past me before I could tell if it was supposed to be positive or negative.

Anyway, so now you know what's been filling my brain all day.  That and Chris Cornell.  I still can't get "Billie Jean" out of my head.  :)

I did take a short break to cook my lunch for the week.  I made potato salad ala Sandy Peace (her secret is green onions instead of regular ones).  I also took a cue from Jay and decided to add some fried tofu so that it would have some protein.  But I don't know how to fry tofu without making it a complete grease sponge, so I consulted the internets and found a great page on how to dry-fry it. Turned out pretty well if I do say so myself.  The only problem is that it took forever because I'm super slow and unskilled about the kitchen, so that's always a disincentive, but progress nevertheless.


Here are the fried strips and here's the website I used in case anyone wants to try:
http://melissaraydavis.hubpages.com/hub/How_to_Cook_Tofu_Like_the_Pros


The finished meal.   I was really in the mood for tomatoes with cottage cheese, but it doesn't seem to exist here so I tried spreadable cheese instead.  NG


I also had a second birthday dessert.  Mom sent me chocolate pudding and a candle so I made that too and shared with my housemates.  They seem to love pudding as well, so they pass the test.  :)

1 comment: