Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Return to Houdek?

Ok, so before I start today's blog I have to share something I just discovered online.  I won't bore you with how I meandered my way to this site, but did you know there's a South Dakota band called Houdek?  And did you further know that they released an album last year titled "Return to Houdek"?  Here's a picture of the album cover - isn't it cool looking?  Their music isn't really my style, but I might email them and ask if I can buy a shirt.

Here's their link if you want to check them out:
http://www.houdekmusic.com/

Alright, on to today.  So another good day at school.  It's kind of weird being there all day in my office with no windows.  It's hard to tell time is passing.  One minute I'm making my second cup of breakfast tea, and the next it's 5pm and time to head out.  They should give people without windows an extra monitor and a webcam to the outdoors so you can keep in sync with the sun a little bit.  I never thought I'd say this, but it makes me miss my office at the Meyer Lab.  That and all my lovely visitors.  No one visits me here, even though I'm obligated to keep office hours for 6 hours a week.  Luckily I share the office with Beth, Angie and Amanda so there's almost always someone to talk to if I really need it.  And Angie is usually talking to several other people at a time on her phone and computer, so I have plenty to listen to as well.  ;)  (Just teasing Ange.)

Speaking of Angie's phone calls, last night I heard her lamenting about how much she misses Mexican food, so tonight after work we went to the only Mexican restaurant in Macau.  It was good, but not good enough to impress a SoCal girl, so she was kind of disappointed.  I thought it was decent though and would go back even though it was kind of expensive.  Here's a shot of Beth and Angie with their dinners - we all got the Guerrero, which was kind of a glorified burrito.  Beth got hers fried and soaking in a sauce.

We walked to the restaurant from school, which took about 10 minutes or so.  Luckily Taipa is small, so it's pretty easy to walk just about anywhere if you know the way.  Some ways are more direct and more pleasant than others though.  The most direct way into downtown Taipa from our school is via a path we call "The Shortcut".  The Shortcut winds through the dense tangle of plant life, junkyard scrap, and crappy housing that separates our school from town.  Here is a shot of where we exit The Shortcut.  Please note the gravel and the puddles and the smoke from the burning pile of garbage in the background.  These are some of the regular obstacles one faces in taking The Shortcut.  So the desire for good food and a short walk must always be measured against avoiding The Shortcut, which involves waiting for the bus, eating in the cafeteria, or walking around the long way. 


After dinner we took the bus home and were greeted with this sight outside our door.  The water is nearly out and when Angie tried to order more this morning, they seemed ticked that we weren't home today.  I guess they don't believe in calling ahead.  So she asked them to come tomorrow instead when we'll be home, but I guess it was too late.  Luckily no one made off with our jugs.

At dinner we got on the subject of breakfast cereal and Beth announced that she had found Golden Grahams and I have not been able to think of anything else since.  Even though I know they will cost a small fortune and I'll have to go out of my way to get them, I think I must.  Cravings are like that for me, as are song lyrics.  Once I have them stuck in my head, they will stay there until I take some action to eradicate them.  My oats and raisins cereal sounds so boring in comparison and I really want a bedtime snack.  (sigh)

5 comments:

  1. So, I checked out the "Return to Houdek" link and watched a short video. They say that 'houdek' is the state soil of South Dakota. Strange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What!?! Ok, I just checked it out too, looks like they named it after a town that used to be located where the soil is plentiful, but no longer exists. Town was named after a person named Houdek, but they pronounce it hoo-dek. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crazy! Might have to order a CD... just because. Ok, so is the Shortcut safe? Sounds pretty seedy. I suggest mirrors and maybe a sunshine lamp for your office... and are you still providing candy? Know it's your surefire way to get company. Forgot to comment on book's "perfect job"... knew that would speak to you as it did to me... if only.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jess--what's your postal mailing address? Thanks, Alsie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alsie!
    It's
    Jessica Gardner
    Rua Pedro Coutinho
    Edificio Queen's Court 12A
    Macau, SAR

    ReplyDelete