Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Force


So today was a pretty boring day - just did some work at school, but had no classes, then came home and grabbed some dinner, but nothing exciting.  Luckily, Beth told me yesterday that she had a hankering to watch Star Wars, and asked if I was up for it tonight.  
Yes, Beth, I am always up for watching Star Wars.

So I got my laptop and external hard drive and speaker and cables all set up, we got our tea ready and settled in to watch.  (Angie somehow managed to resist the temptation - I think she's too young to appreciate it.  Kept mentioning something about geeks.)  Thanks to my sister, Becky, I have the original releases so I don't have to endure any of that ridiculous Greedo shooting first nonsense.

Anyway, right about the time when Darth Vader strides onto the Rebel ship and throttles the first officer, we heard a noise that sounded like:


It was coming from the outlet.  Not good.  So we paused the movie, turned on the lights and I told Beth to look for a big wooden stick to save me with while I unplugged the powerstrip.  I was unhurt, but our powerstrip was toast.  See that melted hole where there shouldn't be one?  Yeah, awesome.  That's what 220 volts can do.  So we'll be adding another one of those to the shopping list and will need to have the outlet checked.  I'm just glad it didn't fry my computer.

 

So I got another strip from my room and we resumed our entertainment using a different outlet.  Beth has seen A New Hope before, but not in a long time, so she didn't remember a lot of what happened.  It's always fun to watch classic movies with someone who hasn't seen them 200 times like I have.  It gives you a fresh perspective and the ability to appreciate them anew.  Like I was re-realizing what great insults C3PO has.  I may have to start using some of these.  I mean, they just roll off the tongue.

"You nearsighted scrap pile."
"You overweight glob of grease."
"That malfunctioning little twerp."


Later in the movie we were enjoying the cheesy but wonderful dialogue and somehow came to the conclusion that The Force would be an awesome name for a pet.  I mean, think about it.  "Honey, I'm going out for a walk.  The Force is with me." 

But the more I thought about it, the more I realized it would need to be a cat, since they believe they are the ultimate power in the Universe already.  I mean, just look at this guy.  You can almost hear him thinking: "The power to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of The Force."


I hereby decree that someday I will have a black cat named The Force.  Count on it.

So of course I had to google some images for this post and in doing so I came across these posters by Olly Moss.  Aren't they beautiful?  I totally want them all.

5 comments:

  1. Sweet - except for the outlet bit - it's been too long since I've enjoyed the trilogy!

    And I love your pet idea - hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It may have been a boring day, but this was a hilarious blog. And the cat idea is brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it was Garrison Keillor who said that when Lutherans hear "May the Force be with you" they respond "and also with you". Guess that applies to Catholics as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah... and have you googled the Darth Vadar gargoyle on the National Cathedral? Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, thanks. I have seen the gargoyle - that place is ridiculous! :)

    ReplyDelete