Sunday, October 9, 2011

Love those Level 0 kids

So I've spent a large portion of the day grading the tests from the Level 0 class.  They did pretty well overall, but it's sooooo hard to be objective and not want to give them too much credit for everything, especially on the short answers.  My first tactic was to flip the pages over on them all so I wouldn't know whose I was grading and feel more inclined to give them points.  But that failed miserably since I already recognize most of their handwriting from their journals.  So I'm just trying to find the balance between being appropriately fair and kind.  Exhausting.  Luckily, the source of my anguish is also the source of my joy.  I gave them an assignment on Friday to send me a link to a commercial they liked and answer some questions about it.  The idea is to give them practice identifying important elements in a commercial because they are all making their own commercials for class as group projects.  I then posted the commercials to a blog I set up for the class so they could view each other's selections to get ideas and comment.  A fun little way to incorporate some technology into the lesson.  Anyway, they've already come up with some great stuff.  I've been crying and laughing and showing them off all evening.  So I'll share them with you too, but please just look and don't comment.  I want to save that space for them to write to each other.

The name of the class is Basic Skills and it meets at 10 - hence the name.

http://basicskills10.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

  1. Making your own commercials?! All I can say is...

    "It's tingling...I can feel it working...it's better than the other brands."

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good thing there are no pandas where I live...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahahaha - nice Rach. If only I had a copy of that gem to show off. Maybe I'll see if Dad can resurrect it.

    But allow me to retort!
    "Bubble tape - it's six feet of bubblegum, for you! Not them! Honk!"

    ReplyDelete