Friday, October 21, 2011

I know it's lame

Sorry, no real blog again tonight.  I've been burning the midnight oil working on my talks for tomorrow.  Last night I started the second one around 11pm and put on my new CD from Becky to motivate.  It worked so well that even when I was done around 1am, I laid in bed a long time before I was able to fall asleep.  (I guess I should have gotten up and blogged.)  Anyway, thanks again Becky, and thanks Merrill Garbus!

The MN talk went well and the students got all my questions right.  We survived the McDonald's lunch and had some pleasant conversation with the students.  My other talks are back-to-back tomorrow from 1pm-4pm.  Then I have a session with Jaja to look forward to in the evening. 

I thought I would take this opportunity to share with you one of the new phrases Carol has taught me in our Cantonese lessons.  (This was not part of the Powerpoint she made, but the subject came up spontaneously.  I think it had something to do with Angie.)  :)

So if you want to say "You're so lame" in Cantonese you say what sounds like "Lay ho lang zai".  (I was able to remember this pretty easily, because it sounded like "Les Auld Lang Syne" the first time Carol said it.)  But that's only what you say if you're addressing a guy.  It's a little different for a woman, but I've already forgotten the difference because I didn't write it down.  You get the idea though, I'm totally "ho lang zai", or something to that effect for ignoring you, my dear readers.  My apologies.  Should have time for a good post tomorrow.


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're getting your talks done successfully. It will be good to have them behind you, I bet.

    And thanks for the Cantonese insult - I can always use some new ideas for Jacob. :)

    I never quite got that song...but like it because it reminds me of Jimmy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not lame... glad you have the sense to put your rest first once in a while!

    ReplyDelete