Saturday, October 15, 2011

Teacher hair

I'll warn you right now, this post might get a little ramble-y.  

Revisions to my thesis - how did we manage before highlighters?
Let me begin by saying that as of this evening, we are now halfway through the semester.  This is intimidating both because we still have a ton of stuff to cover in what seems like very little time, and because it means I am only halfway to a meaningful break.  The plan for the second-half: better time management.  I think I'm pretty good at time management, but not good enough it seems.  I mean I'm getting everything done, but it's very last minute and I need more sleep.  For instance, I just submitted a shortened version of my thesis for a conference in Hong Kong.  It was due at midnight.  I sent it around 11:40pm.  A little closer than I like to cut it, but I only found out about it a week or so ago and I've been spending all my time on classes. 

One thing that might help in the efficiency endeavor is the input of my head teacher, who observed my Level 0 class today.  She gave some helpful suggestions and I intend to talk to her a little more about ways I can improve my lessons without spending so much time on them.  (I think to some degree I'll do better just having tried it once now.  I can see what caused problems in Unit 1 and plan the next accordingly.)  Unfortunately, we had some kind of rainstorm warning today and so half my class was absent.  The lesson still went well, but it really changes the dynamic of the class with so many missing.  So she offered to come back another day next week to see the real deal.  I know a lot of people find being observed annoying or nerve-wracking, but I think it's a real benefit and Teresa is so considerate that I'm not at all worried about having my feelings hurt.  I mean, I've only been teaching for 7 weeks - obviously there are things I need to improve on. 

But despite my inefficiencies, I'm feeling more like a teacher.  And looking more like one.  You know what I mean.  Female teachers have that look.  When I go to ESL conferences I can spot them from a mile away.  Little gaggles of middle-aged ladies in big, comfy, yet quasi-dressy looking cardigans with crazy jewelry, enormous bags and flyaway hair.  I have been trying to resist "the look" for as long as possible, but I can already feel the metamorphosis taking place.  I do have quite a few cardigan style shirts in bold colors and my collection of funky jewelry has burgeoned in the last couple of years.  But my hair is the last straw.  I have trouble with my hair.  It's very thin in the front and getting thinner by the day.  (Thanks Gma Theresa!)  It's curly-ish, which helps counteract how fine and sparse it is, but I have cowlicks in the front that cannot be tamed.  So I adopted a layered, two-colored hairstyle some years ago that I think makes it look as good as is possible.  (Thanks Jay!)  But on the days it misbehaves, I always used to put it up.  A ponytail or bun or pigtails were my go-to dos.  However, I got it cut very short before I came here, and so it is still not quite long enough for the bun or ponytail, and pigtails are just not professional.  I can't stand to have it in my face, so I had to try something new.  I tried clips.  Several of my friends do their hair in this style (one is a teacher, ahem) and it looks lovely on them.  I have nothing against this style in general.  It just makes me feel like I've acquiesced.  It's a little too cute, I think, is the problem.  I try not to be too cute.  Funky, professional, badass, fabulous - these are all styles I aspire to.  Cute is not.  But I'm finding more and more I end up at school with my hair like this because nothing else looks decent.  Luckily it will soon be long enough for one clip in the back and at least then I can mix it up.  (sigh)

Another thing I've observed about teaching is that because I'm constantly focused on language, I notice it a lot more in my daily life too.  Like when I was waiting for the bus this morning, I happened to look down at one of the two plastic bags my sweet taro pastry was wrapped in and was entertained by the choice of English expressions throughout.  I mean you don't have to be an English teacher to notice this sort of translational humor, but I think you appreciate it more when you are.  Item 2 of the Using Method was especially funny to me.  What could they have possibly meant?

Which brings me to another thing I need to improve on for future weeks, my eating habits.  I need to either make more time to cook decent food or find better and more takeout options.  I'm guessing the latter will be what happens, since I'm not the greatest cook and I don't see that changing anytime soon.  I mean, I like the stuff I've been eating, but it's starting to get old.  I want to keep enjoying these crazy taro buns and not begin to resent them because I eat them too often.

(Isn't it funny looking?  Reminded me of a little monster in my morning-delirium.) 

People who don't/can't cook know what I mean, and people who do just don't get it.  So it's nice to have it perfectly explained, as it is below.

My favorite columnist, Jon Carroll, who writes for the San Francisco Chronicle, recently mentioned how he's coping while his wife is on a trip in Africa.  I think this excerpt about his eating dilemma perfectly illustrates my woes.  I totally cracked up when I read it because it's so perfect, so I'll include the relevant part for you below.  Now I'm off to my first full night of sleep in a couple weeks.  Yay!!! 

JC:
So she is over there enduring sundry hardships, from bad mattresses to crippling heat (I pray that's the worst of her hardships), and I am over here, free! Yes, none of those annoying compromises that make marriage such a tricky proposition. Leave dishes in the sink for several days? Darned right. Fail to pick up after myself in the bedroom? Why, it's happening already. Unload the dishwasher one item at a time over a 14-hour period? That's my lifestyle.

If I had just learned to cook a few more things along the way. I can bore myself very easily. "More scrambled eggs, Jon?" "I think not, Jon." "Something from the rice cooker, Jon?" "I have been there and done that, Jon." I could do tomato sandwiches, if I only had bread. They sell bread at many retail outlets, as I understand it. 

I exaggerate for comic effect. But not that much. 

Love this guy.  If you'd like to read the entire article:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/10/09/DD5P1LEGJA.DTL#ixzz1akdV3F1j

5 comments:

  1. Don't worry, Jess! As long as you're not wearing denim jumpers, sweatshirts with attached collars or apple pins, you haven't crossed over to the dark side yet! I think you'd have to try pretty hard to be "cute". That is a compliment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon kinda sums up my type of cooking! I can make a meal, but I'd rather not. Such is life! Oh, your parents surprised me this afternoon when they stopped by with a birthday gift for Mike. They didn't stay long as they were off to Moorhead for supper with Rachel & family. On their way home, they are going through Mahnomen, so won't be seeing them again. But then, we'd probably we at the cabin.
    aunt jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya, Jon is pretty funny...some day he may write as well as you! Am wondering about this Hong Kong thesis deal... may you be presenting at it? Oh, and I don't recall having many if any teachers as cute as you (whoops... not cute... um groovy! yeah that's it.) In contemplating your plastic wrapper... I have concluded that since a gibbous moon is in its bulging/filling phase... the term would imply that filling the bag to a bulge would be fatal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rach: haha and thanks.
    Jackie: have fun at the cabin.
    Mom: Yes, if I get accepted I will be presenting. Groovy,huh? Thanks. :) Interesting take on the gibbous thing, but I think it's just a mistake. I'm guessing they mean either hot or sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  5. On the use of "gibbous," maybe the translator is a fan of H. P. Lovecraft? Sounds like an adjective he would use ;-)

    Also, I wanted to let you know that I am enjoying experiencing Macau vicariously through you. Thanks for sharing!

    - John Mehrholz

    ReplyDelete