Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Oxcar Calabin


Today is the first birthday of my adorable nephew, Oscar.  When he was first born, Elloise needed a few tries to master his complex name (Oscar Calvin) and so Oxcar Calabin was one of those early attempts.  So cute that I can't let it go - that's how all the best nicknames start anyway, right?  So I've shortened it to Ox and since he's a very strong young man already, I think it suits him.  Try holding that little beefcake for a few and you'll get a full upper-body workout.  I love this photo of him because Elloise is so fabulous that she normally hogs the limelight quite a bit.  I feel like this totally captured the moment he realized this and was like "Move over bacon - there's something leaner!  Yeaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!"

But let me wind the clocks back a year to October 17th, 2010.  I remember it very well.  I was anticipating the call, but was still very excited when it came.  I was in my new apartment at 1985 Ashby Ave. #1, and Reid, my housemate, was having a housewarming party.  She invited quite a few friends and I only invited Alison, so she and I were kind of doing our own thing and hatching a plan to go get Indian food when the call came.  

A week later I was in MN to celebrate and got this adorable shot.


I got some good video too - sorry it's a little dark.

 

Then I was back for the holidays and Oscar's baptism.  Here's a nice shot of my Godson and me.  Rach made that bowtie herself, and the hat was a gift.  Pretty sharp, huh?


 Oscar has inherited the infamous Houdek scowlybrows and takes every opportunity to show them off.  This is his first experience with grass.  He wasn't pleased.


 One of the best things about having little people in my life is that I have an excuse to buy all the cute clothes.  I went to New Orleans for a conference and couldn't resist these badboys.  (The shirts say NOLA.)


I was in MN for about a month during the summer and got a lot of great shots of the Ox, but I especially like this one because it exemplifies what it's like to be around him.  You can't look away for a minute or he's gone.  Constantly in motion and if you're holding him, be prepared to wrestle.


A number of people have commented on how much Oscar already looks like my dad.  I think this photo makes it pretty obvious.  He's even got the shirt right, just add a stash and goatee and you've got Mr. Houdek Jr.!


 I think this next shot is the best photo on the planet.  So I guess I have to end it here.  
Really, can they get any cuter than this? 

4 comments:

  1. Nice tribute to my no-longer-baby! You get such a strange feeling, like - I can't believe he's already a year old...but also I can hardly remember our family without him. Weird.

    I'll have to get some new videos of the kids and put them on youtube for you. Dad was commenting on how much Oscar has changed just since he's seen him.

    And thanks for skyping him this morning - we love to see you every chance we get!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photos! Elloise & Oscar are such cuties!
    I don't get to Moorhead/Fargo as often as I'd like to, so don't get to see my great nephew/niece very much. Will have to plan a shopping trip to Moorhead/Fargo area in the next week or two & include a visit to see Elloise/Oscar. Maybe I can arrange something with your Mom!
    aunt jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rach: yeah, I know what you mean - funny how time can be so complicated like that, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sit smugly and think of being accused of having favorites... and wonder at the world of psychology that claims parents do indeed have favorites. Hmmm... I double dog dare Rachel to pick one honey-pie over the other. Not happening!!! Can't even imagine it. I told you so!

    ReplyDelete