Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Try using a verb that ends in -ly...

Sorry about last night, y'all.  I spent all my blog time on YouTube trying to find some good vids of comparative adverbs.  I know, you totally want my life.   All of you do.

Specifically I wanted ones that will enforce the form we're learning in our books.  For example:

"She finds good videos on YouTube less frequently than she would like."

This is in contrast to the types of examples my students kept coming back to:

"Finding good videos on YouTube is harder than you'd think."

They have a way of going right for the exceptions every time.  (sigh)  All of my teachers and classmates assured me that the best way to learn grammar explicitly is to teach it.  Now I see why -  by the time I figure out how to get it across to them I've been thinking about it for days.  No chance of forgetting now!


Anyway, I came up with bupkis, so I'll have to look some more tomorrow. 



On a brighter note, today is Tuesday, which is the day Carol comes over and listens to me mispronounce Cantonese in exchange for dinner.  Tonight I made caprese salad and veggie pizza.  I tried to get ground sausage to add on her behalf, but it was harder to find than you might expect for such a meat loving country.  Clearly I need to find a Portuguese grocery store. 

I also got a bottle of the Portuguese red wine I like.  I met an older Portuguese gentleman at one of the fireworks parties, (Porfirio is his name); and he was giving me advice on how to buy Portuguese wine since I'm used to buying French or Italian varieties.  He said the good stuff comes from either Alentejo or Douro.  Did you know that's where port comes from?  I didn't.  I've tried and liked wines from both regions, but slightly prefer the Alentejo.  For my convenience, they sell it in half-sized bottles here, as well as the normal ones.  (Not sure if you can tell the scale from my hand - I should have shot that better.)  Anyway, it's nice since I was drinking alone.  Carol likes orange juice with her pizza, despite my assertions that wine is the way to go.  Now I have something to wash down the leftovers.


Carol taught me about food tonight - clearly she has me figured out already.  She was observant enough to notice the foods I order regularly when we go out and made me a powerpoint of them.  She then patiently repeated the pronunciation of each one while I attempted to make my own pronunciation key on each flashcard.  (She says she can tell which ones are my favorites by how well I say them.)

Nice, huh?



I took the shortcut through the junkyard today to buy some basil and other pizza essentials in Downtown Taipa during my lunchbreak.  On my way down I passed this shed and had a sense that something was amiss.  So I looked up and saw this car on the roof!  How'd they get it up there?  I suppose the crushed trunk may be my clue, but it made me laugh to see it from below.  Such a weird place.


So I'll apologize in advance for tomorrow's missing blog.  I'm going to an overnight conference in Hong Kong with some other teachers from school.  It's for teachers who are instructing classes that are part of the General Education curriculum.  Our level 2 classes are piloting their new material this year and so we and a bunch of other teachers from UM are going to chat with the peeps in HK and compare experiences.  (By "we" I mean about 5 or 6 teachers from the ELC.)  Should be fun and a good chance to eat out and stay in a hotel.  I'm praying for a bathtub.  And hopefully it will be a nice chance to socialize with some of my coworkers.  That's always important.

Anyway, I won't have my laptop (a whole day without either of my computers - unheard of) so I doubt I'll be able to blog.  Unless I can do it from my phone - we'll see.

I'll leave you with the text of an email forward that I received yesterday.  Have you seen this?  The study is bogus, and I question the statistics, but for someone that looks at incorrect English all day long, it's pretty amazing that it works as well as it does.  I can read it at pretty much normal speed.  Cool huh?  I guess it doesn't work for everyone though, kind of like magic eye puzzles I guess.


Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh?Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! If you can raed tihs forwrad it.

5 comments:

  1. Your dinner looks delicious! Carol must have thought so too, because she put your pizza on facebook!

    So, looking at the power point...those symbols aren't actually meaning something to you are they?! Or you just listen to Carol and make up an English translation?

    Kind of like when I played tuba that year - I couldn't read the base clef. So Kirkeby would show me how to play it, and when I played it myself and saw what keys I needed to push, I could write it out in a "language" that I understood.

    I hope you have (or had - depending on when you read this) a productive and fun time in Hong Kong!

    Ya - I've seen those scrambled messages before. Crazy...although there's no end to amazing things about the human brain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would it help to give your students a list to use to familiarize them first and hopefully they would recall later??? Not sure I know what you're trying to accomplish but here's a list source :)http://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/adverbs-manner.htm Your pizza looks yummy...mmm cheese. Can tell by your favorite desserts that you are indeed my daughter. Enjoy yourself at your conference... they are usually productive. Sorry you don't have a tub... can't find a large cheap plastic washtub for shower? Yeh... not the same. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy your blogs & read them every day but haven't commented. A lot of people enjoy your writings including, Margie & Theresa from DRHS. I love the pictures & the insight into their culture & cuisine. You can see why your Mom & I chose to be teachers & continue to sub. We're knocking some big projects off our list & have at last settled our border battle. I've been trying to catch some fish & last night they finally cooperated. I've been bowhunting some unsuccessfully & the deer are at my corner whenever we go by & seem to just laugh that I having gotten close enough for a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh---your pizza looked delicious! I have a friend, whose daughter is going with her husband in Nov. to Hong Kong for a job interview for being a pilot there. This friend is the one I went to Ireland with. Her son-in-law is a pilot in Ireland, but wants to eventually be a pilot in the U.S.A., but needs more experience. Hong Kong should give him good experience. What a fun place to live for a few years too! Suppose this isn't fair to ask, but do you like Hong Kong as well as Macau?
    aunt jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. That pizza looks delicious! I can almost smell how yummy it must've been!

    Loved that last paragraph. Started it reading through it, wondering why you'd included it, when I realized it was all misspelled! How funny is that?!

    ReplyDelete