Saturday, October 22, 2011

Hasta la vista, English Festival

Well my talks went well, for the most part.  The Powerpoint one was much better - no complaints really - except with all the talking I'm a bit hoarse.  The one on webtools could have been better.  I think if I give it again I'll change some things, but the biggest problem was that the internet was just too slow and there's no faster way to lose an audience than to have a slow-loading browser.  That's the risk you run with doing online stuff I guess.

I had another visit from old Jaja Steely-Fingers tonight, as I like to call her.  Maybe she reads my blog too, because tonight she shut the bathroom door.  Or maybe we're fighting.  This time she commented on how stiff my shoulders were.  I'm like, yeah, I realize - this is why I need your help.  And help she did.  I feel very relaxed and jello-like.  :)  or ^^ as my students would write.  That's how they make a smiley face - or to be more specific - smiley eyes.  No need for a mouth here, the eyes say it all.

And now a few things from the random photos folder:



I noticed this millipede on the shortcut to downtown Taipa.  Probably because it's red.


Angie got these flowers as a thank you for hosting the English Festival singing competition.  They smell great.  She used her powers of persuasion to get me to lug them home on the bus and since we don't have any vases, I put them in this plastic pail that we normally use for mop water.  Looks ok with the ribbon, huh?


I took this photo a couple weekends ago.  Many restaurants have aquariums in the front windows so you can pick out your dinner yourself.  This guy had some fish in pails on his cart and was filling the tanks.


This was taken at the U.S. Mart.  Why this is necessary, I'm just not sure.


This was taken at Dog One Life, Beth's favorite pet store.  We went in to look at all their Halloween decorations and noticed this guy guarding the counter.


We're doing a unit on gender in my Level 0 class right now and today I introduced the word "stereotype" and showed this cartoon to generate discussion.  It's kind of cute.  Takes about 5 minutes if you feel like watching.  Then I had each of them choose one stereotype they disagreed with.  It was really funny to hear their choices.  Several of the girls pointed out that they were much better at dieting than the guys.  Um, obviously.

2 comments:

  1. Flowers are beautiful! Are they some sort of orchard? That millipede is fine, just as long as they stay outside! Can't run that last video as my computer says I need a "plugin". Had a virus in the computer about a month ago & had to have it cleaned by a computer guy here. Some of my stuff didn't get replaced, so can't open many of the videos people send. Will get that fixed soon.
    aunt jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your talks went well and you are rested. Nice to check that off your list of to dos. Random photos enjoyable... except for the gross "leg" display. Don't think I've ever seen anything so horrible!

    ReplyDelete